- A Tiefling Sorcerer and a Gnome Cleric camp for the night and find themselves surrounded by thick fog. When they wake they soon realize that they are no longer in familiar country.
- A Human Rogue and a Lizardfolk Barbarian soon cross the path of the Tiefling and Gnome, they decide to travel together as there is safety in numbers.
- A thick eldritch fog begins to manifest and seems to purse the four westward along the road until they reach a massive gate which opens of its own accord as they approach.
- The gate seems to act as a barrier against the fog, holding it at bay for the moment.
- Further down the road they hear desperate cries echoing through the woods.
- They discover that the cries come from a young boy named Thornboldt who stands in the middle of the road near a lone manor with his sister Rosavalda. They fear for their safety because their parents have been gone for several days, leaving them alone with a "monster in the basement."
- After some investigation the four decide to rid the home of the monster and rescue the children's younger brother Walter.
- The Barbarian attempts to strike Thornboldt when he becomes panicked at the idea of being forced to re-enter the home.
- Both children make horrid, unearthly screams as they are sucked into the house.
- The party explores the mansion.
- The lower levels are impeccably cared for.
- There are several secret rooms and doors.
- There is animated armor that attacks.
- There is a Spectre of a Servant Woman.
- There is a hidden room revealing that the people of the house have a dark story.
- Gustav Durst, the children's father had an affair with the Nursemaid (spectre) who had a stillborn child (Walter). The Nursemaid was killed and then haunted the home.
- Gustav and his wife Elisabeth were members of a cult that sacrificed humans in the name of Dark Powers.
- The Vampire Lord Strahd Von Zarovich wrote the Dursts a letter that outline his contempt for their lowly cult.
- They locked their children in their bedroom where Rose and Thorn starved to death.
- A secret staircase leads to a dungeon below the mansion. There are many features within.
- A crypt for each member of the Durst family.
- Dead cultists in the form of Ghouls.
- Ghostly chanting echoes throughout.
- The party retreated back up to the house proper to rest before continued exploration.
Shadow of the Vampyr